Hockey is the most crucial equipment that you will need to win your matches. New players make mistakes in choosing the right stick and stick sizes. Stick measurement can affect your performances severely if you do not care enough.
The size of your hockey stick can affect your game in many ways. If you have a smaller stick, it can break easily. A longer stick will give you a hard time to pass, short as you desire to.
In this article, we will be discussing the sizes and the best ways to choose the right size for you. Additionally, you will learn to measure the hockey stick like the professionals.
Which hockey stick is right for me?
The style of play differs from player to player. It would help if you understood that there are quite a few factors that lie in choosing the right one. Types of the stick are one of the most important ones. Here are a few essential aspects of choosing the right hockey stick.
- Types of the stick
- Blade angle
- Kick point
You have to have a clear understanding of your playstyle. It will help you to determine the factors above.
You will get mostly three sorts of sticks in the market.
- Composite Sticks
- Wooden Stick
Composite sticks are the latest of all. You can find them ins different price ranges. The composite sticks’ specialty is lightweight, as these are made of fiberglass and carbon fiber. Professional players use composite sticks. Their lightweight provides comfort in handling them. But it would help if you remembered that composite sticks might not last long compared to the wooden sticks.
Wooden sticks are cheap and widely available. Most of the players’ first take is a wooden stick as they are cheap and long-lasting. You might get trouble with the weight if you compare wooden sticks with composite bats.
Two-part hockey sticks are a money saver. Most of the newcomer has this financial issue. Hockey sticks break a lot as they have to deal with hard hits and crushes. Purchasing a new bat is not always easy. Two-part hockey bats help to save money, as you can change the blade if it is broken or the shaft. You might face a loose join after playing several matches as the stick comes with two separate parts.
Right now, you should be clear on choosing the type of stick you would like to have. Once you select the type of your stick, the next job should be picking the size.
How to measure field hockey sticks?
A hockey stick is one of the differentiators in the hockey field. We will try to learn to measure field hockey skates.
To learn to measure the hockey sticks, you should learn about the sizes available in the market.
There are four different sets of hockey stick sizes available in the market.
Youth hockey sticks are for the age of 4-8 years. The average height of this group is forty-five inches. Then comes the junior group for 7-13 years of age, and the average height of the stick is fifty-two inches. The intermediate covers 11-13 years of age, and the senior is for 14+ years of age.
Each of the size groups above consists of different sub-variants based on flex, blade angle, etc.
To measure the length of the stick, all you need is a measurement tape. Place the stick flat on the ground. Hold the tape on the nib of the handle, and pull to the edge of the bottom of the blade.
How to measure ice hockey sticks?
Measuring ice hockey is natural and necessary. Your performance on the match ground is highly dependable on the stick and its size. Determining the right size has no option to deny.
Rule of Thumb to Measure Hockey stick:
- Take your hockey stick.
- Stand straight.
- Put the hockey stick before you.
- The toe should be touching the ground, and the handle should be rising.
- Be sure that the hockey stick is not slanted.
- The butt end should be on the straight line to your nose.
This vertical examination will make you understand that the size of your stick is right for you or not.
How to kick point in hockey stick?
Kick point is a crucial factor in a hockey stick. The term refers to a point in a hockey stick that naturally bends to produce an extended force. It also prevents the stick from breaking while the player takes shot.
Kick-point has immense importance for composite sticks. As we know, composite sticks are made of thin layers of carbon fiber.
At the kick-point, the carbon fiber layers are placed in different strategical direction to provide more power, which is applied in the slapshots.
There are different sorts of kick point.
- Mid kick point: It is widely popular and the default kick point for hockey sticks. Most of the famous manufacturer produces sticks that have kick-point at the center of the bat. These sticks are called mid-kick-stick. Generally, hockey players bend so much for acquiring more energy in a shot. Mid kick point allows the player to attain more strength in a shot as it bends itself from the middle.
- Low kick point: After the mid kick stick, lower kick sticks are popular among the ice hockey players. The concept of the low kick point is that the kick point is nearer to the ice. So, the player doesn’t need to put all of his/her weight on the stick. And the low kick point makes the stick recoil faster than the mid kicks. The low kick point is famous because they require less power but delivers the puck faster.
It will be easier for you if we compare both of the kick points based on their features.
Mid Kick versus Low Kick
- It requires more power.
- The player has to bend more, which gives them a balance during the shot.
- A player can take shot in various force and mode with a mid kick stick.
- Mid kick provides the puck with more power and accuracy.
- The kick point recoils faster.
- For the quick release, the puck doesn’t turn away.
- The player gets a precise feel with the puck.
- Low kick helps to take shots from the corner or quick snap when the player is near to the opponent’s net.
Lastly, the hockey stick is the only thing that determines your success. Never overlook the right size of the hockey stick. Remember, a tiny factor can beget a great change.